Thursday, July 29, 2010

Note to self...don't dig in July!



Well, once again my legs are covered in some kind of bug bite. I've have come to the conclusion that is must be some type of sand flea that comes to life in early July and lasts for a couple of weeks.
There's a story to my main garden. For almost 10 years it was the home to our above ground pool, where my daughter and her friends enjoyed themselves every summer. As my daughter, Abby, went off to college, the pool was used less and less. Finally, my husband and I decided to remove the pool. It was mostly all work and no play for the pool.( and heck, I have horses that fall into that catagory!) So after we removed the pool, we had a nice 24' round sunken hole in our back yard with great drainage. Naturally, I said...let's make it a pool garden! So for the entire summer of 2006, we, errrrr, my husband dug the massive hole in the dirt, clay and sand to place a pump for the new water feature of our garden.

By the summer of 2008, things were looking good...except that when I would dig down in the dirt and mostly sand (that was trucked in for the pool base) in July my legs were covered in big red angry bites. I finally went to the doctor as I was not sure if they were bites, hives or a rash. Just plain bug bites...but no one was sure of the actually culprit. Another note to self...quit buying bargain sale plants...then I won't be digging in the garden in July!

2009 summer...late planting..oops more bites...and would you believe I was stupid enough in 2010 to plant my new lavender that I was so excited to purchase...into the sand..and sure enough...24 hours later both legs are covered in large, angry red bites...

So once again, I am using Tea Tree Essential Oil..on each bite, after I have soaked in an hot epsom salt bath. (Epsom salt baths pulls out the toxins.) Now the hot bath, causes the itching to increase, but once I dab each bite with Tea Tree Oil, the itching subsides.

Tea Tree is known as Melaleuca and comes from Australia. Used for generations by the aborigines to heal wounds, cuts, bites and skin problems. Tea Tree Essential Oil promotes healing and also acts as an analgesic, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and antiseptic insecticidal dressing.

Tea tree oil should be used carefully and with adult supervision.


On a happier note, I have figured out a way to carefully remove poison ivy from my garden. I noticed that I was starting to get shoots up around my deck. So I made a quick trip to my local Tractor Supply Company...and purchased a packet(10) plastic shoulder length veterinary ob examination gloves. I slipped these babies on..and they stay on your shoulder! To be extra careful in case I would rip the thin plastic, but I put on a regular pair of work gloves. The plastic examination gloves are thin enough that a pair of work gloves slip on easily. I felt very confident as I removed the poison ivy ...that my arms were well protected. They are easily removed and as you do, they turn inside out, so that you do not come in contact with the offending oils. (I did scrub down my hands and arms after I finished, to be on the safe side!) But these gloves are now apart of my garden tool basket!

No comments:

Post a Comment