Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Forget-me-nots and watering the 18th century way


This is the final week of 'middle' summer and the heat is blistering. We are under a heat alert. Temps should hit almost 100 tomorrow with heat index a lot higher. You can cut the air with a knife, even at 9pm when I went to check on the horses.

Once again I was on the road between home and my parents home in Ohio. It was very comforting to come up the driveway of the farm this afternoon after a 3 hour drive. And John Denver's lyric, "Sometimes this old farm feels like a long lost friend" came to mind. I am happy to be home at least for a couple of days.

The weather really kept me in the house though... If I am to work outside I need to get outside early in the morning and stay there. I ventured outside later in the evening to check on my Forget-Me-Nots. I have been giving them a lot of TLC this summer and I was worried that my husband neglected them while I was in Ohio. They are doing fine, but I did give them a really good drink. They are strong enough now to withstand the sprinkler.


When they were just seedlings, I used this wonderful clay pot that I purchased from the garden at Colonial Williamsburg, VA. As you can see, it has a small hole at the top and the bottom is covered in small holes. The idea is that you keep the clay pot in a larger pot filled with water. When you need to water seedlings, you place your thumb over the top hole and when you wish to release the water you remove your thumb and a small dribble of water comes from the bottom holes. This is perfect for starting seeds or any tender seedlings and a great addition to your garden tools.


No comments:

Post a Comment