Sunday, July 24, 2011

The "Grace" of Arts

The other day I talked a little about my Aunt Grace. Actually she was my father's aunt, but I also called her Aunt Grace. Born in 1880 she grew up in a large family of 5 sisters and 1 brother that was my grandfather. My father, was named after her father. (She is the young girl standing in the back row on the very right of the family picture.) After graduating high school, Aunt Grace decided to become a teacher. I firmly believe that this decision led to her remaining single all her life. We often asked her why she did not marry, and her only response was "no one bothered to ask me" However, in the early 20th century, a female teacher was not allowed to marry. Once married, you were required to quit your job and stay at home!!

I think she loved teaching so much that she never had any intentions of giving it up! Grace lived a long full life and died in 1975 at the age of 95. While the last couple of years found her bed ridden, she was of sound mind and heart for all but the last year or two. We corresponded regularly while I was in college.

Grace excelled at many things besides her excellence in the classroom, including writing poetry and painting. I have been so fortunate to find these pictures of Grace, a few poems and some of her art work while cleaning out my parent's home.

I do believe that this is a self portrait! Just my opinion, but she signed this with her full name and most of her other work was signed as G.I. Scott.(I is for Ione - from Greek Mythology!)







written from near the Great Miami river and the Scott homestead.....

No comments:

Post a Comment