Friday, July 15, 2011

A lament....or I was born a century (or 2) too late

While cleaning out my parents (66 years of marriage) home, I came across a letter written in 1931 to my grandfather. It seems that my great-grandfather left Shelby County, Ohio to move in with his son, John, who lived in Miami County. My grandfather apparently was concerned that his father may owe money and had asked the County Recorder to make sure that all debts had been paid. The letter written in response is pictured here.

This letter is an excellent example of late 19th century penmanship. (I'm guessing that is why it was saved and in a box of pictures?) It is also contains a bird flourish. From what I can gather this type of penmanship and flourishing was popular the last half of the 19th century and continued a little into the 20th century.

It has been reported in the news this past week, that schools will no longer be teaching cursive writing. It has been replaced by keyboarding.



back home in Indiana...watching the steam rise from farm pond

No comments:

Post a Comment