Sunday, July 10, 2011

Hankies

I sometimes wonder why the "hanky" or "hankie" was replaced by paper tissue? I am sure it has a lot to do with sanitation, but in this day when we all try to live 'green' I think one thing we can do is return to using the hanky!
My best friend, Janice, gave me this antique box with hankies for my birthday! I had the most fun, washing them and even ironing them! (I know...ironing??...but it brought back some childhood memories, as my mother first taught me to iron by allowing me to practice on the family's hankies.)
The box was full of fun shapes and colors and I especially loved the one that was on top of the pile...just for my birthday!
Recently while cleaning out my parent's home I came across a large box of my mother's hankies. I even found one that while the material fairly 'stout', it was covered in 'french knots' embroidery. Not sure if it was ever meant for 'use'...but it is pretty.

One of my favorite things to do is to make sure I change my hankie with the seasons. For now there are all sizes, colors and shapes of hankies in full bloom.

from along Turkey Run Creek...on a VERY hot day

No comments:

Post a Comment